*Some of the links below to set up a domain name and hosting with Bluehost are affiliate links which means we may earn a small commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that this is at no additional cost to you and we would never recommend a product we don’t trust, use and love.
Whether you’re working with us for a 1-DAY INTENSIVE or you’re doing research on how to start your own website, you’ll need both a domain name and a web host. Many people who have never started a website or who are simply not interested in “techy” things don’t know that a domain name and web host are two separate things… if this is you, don’t worry! After all, that’s our job, not yours! And we’re here to help!
Setting up a domain name and hosting
In this blog post, we’ll break down the basic differences between a domain name and a hosting company. Then we’ll walk you through how to purchase your own with BlueHost.
This is especially important if you’re working with us for a 1-DAY INTENSIVE. Click here to get more information on how we can help you get your brand and website up and running within the next month!
What is a domain name?
A domain name is the address of your website that people type in the browser’s URL bar to visit your website. For example, our domain name is themerakicollective.com
If you have not selected a domain name, we recommend using the name of your business or personal brand. If the name of your business is too long or not available you can use a variation of it as your domain name.
What is Web hosting?
Web hosting is where all of the files from your website live, it’s the HOME of your website. For example, think of your website as a house. The domain name is the home address and the web host is the actual home.
Without a web host, you cannot have a website. Your web host is where “things” live (your website files, photos, and information). Your domain name (ex. themerakicollective.com) is simply the address to your online home.
To review, to build a website you will need both a domain name and a web host. Buying a domain name gives you the right to use that particular name for a period of time (usually 1 year). It is also possible to buy a domain name and hosting from the same company, we recommend BlueHost.
If you are working on your first website you may be wondering what you’ve gotten yourself into! 😉 But don’t give up just yet, we’ve outlined the steps below so you can setup up your domain name and web hosting. And if you’re one of our 1-DAY INTENSIVE clients this is about ALL the “tech” work you’ll have to do because we’ve got it from here! 🙂
How do I get a domain name and web hosting?
When we work with clients for a 1-DAY INTENSIVE, we recommend BlueHost for a domain name and web hosting. Here are a few reasons why:
- Great customer service : BlueHost support teams are quick, professional and helpful!
- Easy to setup: BlueHost makes it easy to set up so even the most inexperienced users can do it!
- Low rates, but quality service: BlueHost is one of the best “bang for your buck” web hosting companies out there without being down all the time (like so many low-rate and “cheap” web hosts out there.)
To sign up for your domain name and website hosting at BlueHost, click here.
Once you click the link to sign up with BlueHost, here’s what the process looks like:
1. Click on the “Get Started Now” button.
2. The Basic plan is all you really need for now. You can always change it later to a different plan as your business expands.
3. In the “New Domain” box, type in your preferred domain name. Please note, if you have your domain registered elsewhere, enter your domain name under “use a domain you own” then proceed with the next step.
4. Fill out the account information
5. The best deal is to pay for the 36 months plan + you get your domain name for free. You have the option to add additional services from the ‘Package Extras’, please note: these are not necessary but we highly recommended “Codeguard Basic” especially if you don’t have a “tech person” on your team or if you don’t want to deal with doing backups manually. Below is a screenshot of what we use for our package information settings.
And that’s a wrap! You have a domain name AND a hosting company, congratulations!
If you’re one of our 1-DAY INTENSIVE clients then be sure to check out your ‘welcome client form’ for the next steps! Feel free to send us an email at info@themerakicollective if you have any questions.